Friday, March 11, 2011

Rock-a-bye Mommy

I'll admit it-- maybe the reason I can't generate a fabulous blog post today has something to do with the fact that I keep staring at those pictures of Bug from her daddy-daughter date night to see Disney On Ice (for free!) I mean, really. It's a paralyzing level of cute.

So here's the deal. I know, I know. I have the sad, stringy end of the Chia Shrek to show you. It's just that first I'd like to talk about my junior year of college.

That's when I didn't sleep. My junior year of college was awesome. I worked two jobs, and went to school full time and, oh yeah, had a semester long group project. (Why do professors DO that? Luckily, I was assigned great group of talented people, but STILL.) Plus Aggie basketball. Plus my best friend (minus the roomie, of course) regularly worked until midnight, which means that's when I wandered over to his house, quite often with dinner.

Basically, my body stopped expecting sleep or food on any sort of schedule, and just did what I told it to do. For the most part, I managed to feel great.

That summer was more of the same. I stayed up all day caring for my grandfather who had just had surgery, and stayed up all night messing around with friends. I can't believe I'm about to admit this on a space Bug might someday read, but more than once I left Utah County for Logan (oh yeah, 2 hour drive) after 10 pm and returned home the same night. Morning, I guess.

I was not the best version of myself that summer. In my defense, I was reasonably sure that the returning missionary I had been head over heels with for years was no longer in love with me, and it left me spinning. (Imagine how happily surprised I was to find myself marrying him a year later!) For our purposes, though, that's neither here nor there. The point is that I didn't sleep, and I was still a rockstar.

And the reason that I'm bringing all of this up is to point out how old this makes me feel now that I can no longer do this. My new job-- which I love!-- requires that I work until 1am 4 nights per week. Twice this week, it ended up being an hour or so later because we were just so swamped. And boy oh boy do I feel different. My body now requires food and sleep on a more regular basis. Imagine that!

All of that being said, Bug is down for her nap. And I'm headed for mine. Happy Friday!

No comments: