Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Six Stories for Six Years: We Got Married



The day of our wedding dawned full of sunshine without a cloud in the sky. I got ready carefully at my parent's house, and waited patiently for my handsome groom to arrive. We rode to the temple together in the backseat of my parents' car, which in hindsight seems strange but felt perfectly natural at the time. We walked into the doors together with my mom carefully holding the heavy dress bag that contained my wedding dress. I dressed in a simple white dress for the ceremony, and met my almost-husband outside of the dressing room. We had a bit of time to spend relaxing together before we met our family members for the ceremony.
In that funny way that memories work, the following is the most vivid recollection I have of my wedding day:
A very nice elderly lady who was serving in the temple offered me a little Dixie cup of water. I wasn't really thristy, but it seems like when a nice old lady offers you a beverage, you really ought to just take it. So I did. I took a sip, and let me just tell you that I am being only a little dramatic when I say that the entire contents of that sip slid down my esophogus and directly into my lungs.
Have you ever tried to stop a cough that should really be coughed? It might seem like if you are in a quiet place you should try to mute that cough, you know, so you aren't that one girl who is disturbing the sanctity and peace of the location with your hacking sounds, but you would be wrong. It's a nice idea and all, but really you'll just end up dragging the whole unfortunate situation on and on and on with choking noises and ragged breathing, the way I did. My eyes were watering, and that made my nose run, too. I didn't feel right just winding up for a good nose blow in the middle of the temple, so I found myself delicately dabbing my nose with a tissue and trying to sniff in a way that didn't make me sound like an elephant taking a bath in an African mud pond.

Once I cleared my airway, the rest of the day went off basically without a hitch. The ceremony was perfect. We took pictures outside where it was hotter than blazes, but I was so overwhelmed with happiness that I didn't even notice the sweat dripping down my legs under my beaded dress. Even my mom's broken toe seemed to behave throughout the rest of the day. Cooling cloud cover rolled in just in time for the outdoor reception, and all day long we were surrounded by the most wonderful and supportive friends and family.

It was the start of something wonderful.



***

Today is the day! Six whole years. 2192 days of wedded bliss. It sounds like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm really not. I am continually amazed that we are lucky enough to have such a happy family. I couldn't ask for a more devoted father to my beautiful babies or unwavering supporter for me. I am blessed. Happy Anniversary!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Congratulations! 6 years is a great thing. Glad to hear they have be great and wish you many more to come.