Tuesday, March 27, 2012

News on the potty front.

First of all, I took these pictures in the basement with my cell phone. No overhead lights were on, so the only light coming in was from the window behind me, which was probably partially obstructed by a large Labrador pressing her face against the glass wishing she could nibble on this chunk of peanut butter deliciousness. That's why everything looks so grainy.



Can't say as I blame the dog, actually. He's pretty munchable.

Here's the basic pattern of my days. Wake up to feed the Bug. Put her in her high chair with a bowl of Crunch Berries. She will eat the red and purple ones, but not the yellow ones, which must be inherent to childhood because I certainly didn't teach her that. Pressure her to eat more quickly so we can hurry to the basement where I can feed the baby, who is hungry by now. Turn on Disney Jr. to entertain the toddler, who will probably empty the toy bin all over the floor while I am tethered to the chair.

Change Mr. Baggins.
Change Bug.

Aaaaaaannnnddd--- rinse and repeat. Basically. I also straighten up, and Bug helps me. In this case, "helps" means "reach into the dishwasher a lot while repeatedly asking for fruit snacks" but hey, we take what we can get.

The other night, I put Mr. Baggins down after his late night feeding and, get this, he slept for over 4 hours before waking for the next one. I slept for more than 3 hours in a row for the first time in nearly one month. I don't know what it feels like to see the sun come up in Alaska after an entire winter of darkness, but I imagine it feels something like that stretch of sleep. I practically danced with joy.

But the real big news around our house is Bug-related. While we haven't been really focused on the issue, we have been talking about how exciting it is for big kids to use the potty rather than doing business in their diapers. Every now and again, Bug sits on the potty with no real success other than a slightly delayed nap time, which I'm sure she considers a victory.

Today, though! Today was different! And just to guarantee that social workers like me have clients and job security in the future, I'm going to tell the story of my daughter's first potty experience ON THE INTERNET! BRING ON THE THERAPY BILLS!

Lunch was completed, and the pre-nap diaper change had been initiated when Bug indicated she needed to use the potty. We ran to the bathroom, discarding the sleeper en route. (So she was still in her pajamas. Don't judge me.) She sat on her little seat, obviously lacking in any focus, and eventually we called it a good attempt and returned to her room. New diaper was secured and I was just zipping her up when a toot escaped her. Smiling, I encouraged her to say 'excuse me', but her return gaze wasn't so much playful as it was worried.

It was go time, and she knew it.

Off came the sleeper in record time, and we ran back into the bathroom. Not convinced we'd have much more success, I left her sitting there while I ran to the basement to grab her wubby for nap time. She seemed less scattered, though, and more intent on the job at hand.

As soon as I returned, though, she was calling out excitedly.

"Mama! I put poop an' pee in da potty!"

And guess what! She had.

And there was much rejoicing.


2 comments:

Liv said...

Hallelujah! Congrats!

Want to train Aspen next? I'm sure it'll be easy. I mean, you've already done it once...

Samantha Kennicott said...

Yay! Sounds like you might have a short stay in "two kids in diapers" land. :)