Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Necessity is the mother of invention

A couple of weeks ago, Schmoopsie and I stopped to grab a quick dinner after an evening of Christmas shopping.  (I don't want to brag, but we're probably 90% done with our shopping, and it's all wrapped and under the tree.)(Just kidding, I actually do want to brag.  Also, we bought nearly everything with gift cards from our credit card rewards program.  Boo-yah.)  Anyway, we were in possession of a certain hungry Bug, so I made sure to order something she could enjoy, too.  The creamy cheddar cauliflower soup was excellent.  Unfortunately, the soup spoon was too deep for tiny lips.  (Bug's or mine, to be honest.)

Enter: My new-found Mommy Ingenuity.


I know, right?  Super smart.  Worked like a charm.

And then. 

She finished, and I pushed the bowl out of reach.  I turned away to grab a napkin, and in a flash Bug's stubby little fingers stretch forward, neatly catching the very tip of the straw.  The soupy end of the straw flipped upward, sending a fine, even spray of creamy cheddar cauliflower droplets toward the sky, showering me and my black corduroy jacket from the top of my head to my waist.

Covered my food from my kid's plate?  In public?  Oh yeah.  I'm THAT MOM.

Do you know what my Mommy Ingenuity told me to do then?  Wipe me eyes and run a napkin through my hair and hustle out the door as quickly as possible.  Oh no, wait.  That was my husband, muttering his embarrassment under his breath in a steady stream:  "oh my word. oh my word.  You are covered.  It is everywhere.  Let's GO."

Kids raise the potential humiliation quota for any outing by at least 500%.

No comments: