Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lessons on tempered glass

I think I may have mentioned on ye ol' blog a time or two the great epic saga of the exploding stove. Basically, one time when I was about 13 I was at my dad's house in Bountiful keeping an eye on the whole gaggle of siblings I have. I pulled a Papa Murphy's pizza out of the oven, stepped over to the counter to set it down, and the entire glass front of the stove exploded outward on to the floor. I heard later it had something to do with the glass not being tempered correctly, but really I just remember thinking that none of the adults in my life seemed as concerned about the possibility of future EXPLODING OVENS as much as my siblings and I were.

Anyway, fast forward like 16 years to a couple of weeks ago. I was feeding Baggins some sort of delicious vegetable mash for lunch and decided to reheat some of the super fantastic roasted potatoes I'd made for dinner the night before for my own meal. I popped them into the oven on broil on a glass plate, and sat back down on the ground cross-legged to finish shoveling puree into my hungry bird's gaping mouth.

At some point, I cocked my head a bit to the side and thought to myself, Hmmm. I betcha that glass isn't temp...

But I didn't even finish the thought before a loud POP and a sizzle came from the oven.

Sigh.


5 comments:

Amber said...

RATS!!! Those potatoes look good too!

Katie and Chad Metz said...

This can happen to people's windshields in AZ during the crazy hot summer! If you get a carwash, they have to fill in all the little cracks so the cold water won't smash the entire windshield to pieces. Never had it happen in my oven though!!

Liv said...

Just step away from the oven, Kris. Stick with the microwave. Or toaster!

Stacey O said...

that is absolutely nuts!! I've never heard of that! So glad it wasn't the oven door again this time! Bummer for your plate. :\

Melinda said...

Shouldn't the people who make the ovens know about the correct type of glass!? Now I am scared. The only thing that has exploded in my oven is a potato I forgot to prick with a fork on Father's Day a few years ago. It exploded, and I thought someone was shooting outside our house and then it burst into flame in the bottom of our oven. Not our best Father's Day dinner.