Thursday, April 11, 2013

Someone needs an imaginary friend.

My daughter is good at all kinds of things, but if you wanted to know, entertaining herself is not one of them. Bug likes social things. Bug likes interacting. And at three years old, Bug really, really likes to discuss every possible step of every potential activity of our day AT LENGTH.

Don't get me wrong, I love chit-chatting with my little princess. I am proud of her extensive vocabulary and complex thought processes. She amazes me every day.

Also, she is exhausting.

Today, we ran some errands (and discussed those errands before, during, and after each stop.) We straightened up a little (and talked about that, too.) We talked about breakfast and we talked about snack time and I endured a several minute-long soliloquy from her about the proper way to put on and then wear her shoes, which she has taken to referring exclusively to as iceskates. (Icescapes, to be precise.) After enough conversation to tire even me--which, trust me, as an award-winning chatterbox myself is impressive--I gave Bug new instructions. I told her it was time to play by herself in her room.

If Bug's life was accompanied by a movie soundtrack, you would have heard those screeching violins from Psycho in the background to illustrate the terribleness of that suggestion. Apparently to my social butterfly, the fragments "by yourself" and "in your room" absolutely negate any and all pleasantness implied by the aformentioned suggestion to "play".

Nevertheless, I am the type of Mommy who feels that playing alone is a valuable skill to know. (Also valuable: having ten minutes wherein I can load the dishwasher without having a detailed conversation about loading the dishwasher.) I was a talkative kid, for sure, but I also used to set my alarm for the middle of the night just so I could quietly finish my Nancy Drew mystery without anyone bothering me. And so, alone playtime was enforced.

I peppered her with suggestions as I herded her into her bedroom. Your tea set! Your books! Your princess dress ups! Your art set! I reminded her.

So, any guesses what my daughter decided to do with her unrestricted alone time in her bedroom full of books and toys?


The contestant who answered "climbed into her bed and sulked" should please come to the lower concourse to claim their prize.

3 comments:

Samantha Kennicott said...

Amelia used to be the same way, but after she got used to having "quiet time" daily, she got really good at entertaining herself. She still loves to talk and be social, but she loves her alone time, too. I totally agree with you, both the kiddos and the mama need that break! I'm sure Bug will learn to love it. :)

Liv said...

HAHAHAHA amen. Little chatter boxes are exhausting!

Luckily, Aspen will have some time in her room (now that she doesn't nap) as long as I leave Maddie in there with her. Voila! Someone to talk to!

Melinda said...

Oh man. I am starting to realize that little girls are much more talkative and detail-related than little boys. I can usually satisfy Emerson's curiosities with a well-thought-out, concise answer, but that doesn't satisfy Sammi. Once I finish explaining something, she says, "Tell me dat story 'bout _______ again."
And why do kids always want the opposite of what you suggest!? If I ask the kids to play together then they usually try to claw each other's eyes out, but the other day I was so sick of them fighting that I said they WEREN'T allowed to play together and they slinked downstairs to the basement to play together (as if I didn't realize what was happening...) and thought they were sooooo sneaky.